Viking River Cruises hosted a simultaneous christening ceremony in Amsterdam and Rostock, Germany, for 12 new river ships.
The new vessels included 10 Viking Longships and two custom vessels for the Elbe River. This event officially brings Viking's total river fleet size to 60 and comes just one year after the company set a Guiness World Record for the most new ships launched in a single day.
All 10 of the new Viking Longships will be deployed on Viking's itineraries in Europe, including three of the most popular itineraries – "Grand European Tour," "Romantic Danube" and "Rhine Getaway." Also, as a result of high consumer demand for the "Elegant Elbe" itinerary, the two new specially designed ships will double the company's capacity on the Elbe River for 2015.
Viking named 12 of its longest-serving employees as ceremonial godmothers for the new ships, representing multiple departments at Viking, including onboard operations and the line's operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland. The full list of godmothers includes:
- Donora Anderson, senior director of operations and godmother of Viking Skirnir
- Clare Armitage, senior operations executive and godmother of Viking Eir
- Sinemie Bakker, program director and godmother of Viking Astrild
- Henrieta Balisova, program director and godmother of Viking Vili
- Adriana Filkaszova, receptionist and godmother of Viking Beyla
- Jana Hudakova, chief receptionist and godmother of Viking Mimir
- Miriam Kajuchova, housekeeper and godmother of Viking Ve
- Karoline Landa, controller and hotel manager and godmother of Viking Lofn
- Kornelia Pfeiffenberger, hotel manager and godmother of Viking Vidar
- Faye Pirie, specialist cruise consultant and godmother of Viking Modi
- Julie Rosoff, senior director of marketing services and godmother of Viking Mani
- Verona Thiele, concierge and godmother of Viking Gefjon