AmaWaterways has announced that it will enhance its line-up of biking and hiking tours for travelers in 2016, citing an increase in demand for active options onboard its popular Europe river cruises.
AmaWaterways carries a fleet of complimentary bicycles onboard its European ships, which will continue to be available to guests for individual or escorted bike tours. In 2015, the company introduced a partnership with Backroads for more adventurous bicycling tourists, with those sailings beginning this year.
AmaWaterways’ 2016 new escorted bike tours will include:
* A tour of the historic waterfront town of Willemstad
* Cycling along the river Sava and through Kalemegdan Park in Belgrade
* A ride through Antwerp visiting a fortress, museums and hidden quarters
* Tours of the Wachau Valley along the Danube
* A ride through the historic town of Bamberg (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), seeing its famous breweries and market gardens
* A picturesque tour through wooded hills and beaches of poplars along the scenic shores of the Inn River in Passau
Additionally, in 2016, 12 port cities will be home to AmaWaterways’ new hiking tours. This includes two wine tasting options during the Fortress Hike in Durnstein. Other options include:
* Fourviere Hill in Lyon
* Passau Castle Hike in Passau
* Mount Pipet in Vienne
* Chateau Gaillard in Les Andelys
* Dom Luis Bridge, Old Harbor Quarter, Cathedral in Porto
AmaWaterways’ guided biking and hiking tours are included in the cruise fare in addition to standard tours that are often offered at a variety of paces, including gentle, regular and active. Guests can also participate in Limited Edition Tours, which give smaller groups unique opportunities to experience local culture.