Viking River Cruises has announced details of the newest addition to its river fleet, Viking Ra. Recently acquired, the vessel has been stripped down to the steel to undergo a complete renovation that will reflect Viking’s Scandinavian design. Built with accommodations for just 48 guests, Viking Ra will sail the Nile River on a new Egypt cruisetour, Pharaohs & Pyramids, that will launch in March 2018.
During the 12-day Pharaohs & Pyramids itinerary, guests will experience Egypt's culture in seven destinations. The cruisetour begins with a three-night stay at a hotel in Cairo, where guests can visit sites such as the Great pyramids of Giza, the new Grand Egyptian Museum and the Mosque of Muhammad Ali. Guests will then fly to Luxor, where they will visit the Temples of Luxor and Karnak before boarding Viking Ra for an eight-day roundtrip cruise on the Nile River to Aswan. The journey concludes with a flight back to Cairo for a final night in the city.
The newly rebuilt, all-suite Viking Ra will boast 24 staterooms that will exclusively accommodate 48 guests. Ship amenities include:
- All-suite staterooms: The ship offers three suite stateroom categories, each 291 square feet, including Veranda Suites with a full-size veranda and a French balcony. All staterooms include premium amenities such as a hotel-style bed, luxury linens, private bathroom with shower, air conditioning and flat-screen TVs.
- Pool and two jacuzzis: In addition to two jacuzzis, there is pool near the stern of the ship. Guests can stay protected from the sun under sculptural "sail-shades" and mashrabiya-influenced screens surrounding the pool and Sun Deck.
- Spa: Specifically designed for Viking Ra, guests can indulge in a variety of massage services and treatments.
- Onboard dining, bar and lounge: Dine in The Restaurant, which serves three full meals and a selection of regional and international fare. During the day, guests can hang out in The Lounge and hear an informative discussion on the ship's next destination.
- Entertainment: Guests are offering Viking's Culture Curriculum, which includes a Nubian evening event onboard and a local experience riding a camel. Additionally, Viking's Expert 'Egyptologist' leads all excursions.