Viking Ocean Cruises’ Viking Sky, the third ship in the fleet, set off on her maiden voyage today from Rome to Barcelona. Sister ship to Viking Star and Viking Sea, Viking Sky will begin her maiden season sailing throughout the Mediterranean before heading north to sail Scandinavian and Baltic itineraries in the summer. Viking Sky will cross the Atlantic this fall and will finish out the year sailing itineraries in the Americas and the Caribbean.
Classified by Cruise Critic as a “small ship,” the all-veranda Viking Sky has a gross tonnage of 47,800 tons with 465 cabins, accommodating 930 passengers. Viking’s fourth ship, Viking Sun, will be delivered in November and will spend her maiden season sailing the company’s first-ever World Cruise. Viking Spirit will join the fleet in 2018 and will sail itineraries in Australia, Asia and Alaska. A sixth, yet-to-be-named ship will be delivered in 2019; the arrival will make Viking the largest small-ship ocean cruise line.
The ships are designed small as to get guests closer to the destination, allowing for more time in port and more overnights, meaning fewer days at sea.
While every cruise includes a guided excursion in each port, Viking’s optional excursion program was designed to provide guests with enriching experiences that go beyond the expected, for example:
- The Hermitage Behind Closed Doors – St. Petersburg, Russia: Guests receive a Privileged Access view of the vaults of one of the world’s greatest art collections.
- Vistas, Vikings & The Village Woodturner – Torshavn, Faroe Islands: Guests gain insight into daily village life and the rich Viking heritage as they explore the village of Kvivik, site of a 10th-century Viking settlement.
- A Taste of Provence – Toulon, France: Guests get a private cooking lesson at a 19th-century house in the Provençal countryside from Michelin-star rated Master Chef of France, Monsieur Bérard.
- Nazareth & The Sea of Galilee – Haifa, Israel: Guests can choose to visit some of the most important places in the life of Jesus on this excursion through Canaan, Nazareth, Cana, Capernaum, and Tabgha.
- King Crab Safari – Honningsvåg, Norway: Guests set off in a deep-sea raft into the pristine waters of Sarnesfjorden to catch their own king crab.
- Evening Concert of the Island of Our Lady of the Rock – Kotor, Montenegro: Guests embark on a boat for the island of Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rocks) to enjoy an exclusive and intimate guitar recital by two eminent Montenegrin musicians, Darko Nikcevic and Srdjan Bultaovic.
In addition to on-shore excursions, with every cruise fare, guests receive a all onboard meals, and all port charges, government taxes, beer and wine with lunch and dinner service, premium dining reservations, Wi-Fi, self-service laundry, access to the Thermal Suite in the LivNordic Spa, and 24-hour room service.