Continuing our “Secrets to Success” series, Luxury Travel Advisor spoke with Kimberly Shannon who is part of the Vacation Division of Acendas.
A successful career in the commercial interior design field couldn’t keep the Trendsetter out of the travel industry. A few years after moonlighting as a volunteer with a local agency in Cedar Rapids, IA, she moved to Kansas City and joined Acendas (then All About Travel), combining two of her biggest joys: travel and creativity.
Shannon’s biggest market is destination weddings, honeymoons, and family travel to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii. She credits her Acendas teammates for their assistance in marketing, invoicing, day-to-day operations, and technology, as well as its client-tracking system for her accomplishments.
- Upsell—Always make suggestions to upsell and never leave the client not knowing what else they could have had to make their experience the best it could be.
- Ask for referrals—Always ask clients for referrals upon the completion of every successful trip.
- Find the right agency—Align yourself with the right travel agency who provides support with marketing, day-to-day operations, technology and back up assistance.
- Get creative—Design a very customized itinerary for my clients, rather than just the obvious—flights and hotel.
- Keep in touch—Be very consultative during the planning process, making sure to always point out the value of a travel agent.
Remember to keep checking out Luxury Travel Advisor for more Secrets to Success and other business tips for maintaining a luxury travel agency.