ExpertFlyer Survey: 40 Percent Say Electronic Ban Would Affect Them

Photo by leungchopan/iStock/Getty Images Plus/Getty Images

A new survey shows that the recent ban on electronics including laptops and tablets on flights to the U.S. from targeted airports will impact in-flight activities for many business and leisure travelers.

ExpertFlyer.com, an online airline information website, surveyed 1,566 subscribers to determine how severe the impact would be and what steps, if any, travelers might take to avoid these airports or how they would adjust their in-flight travel habits. The survey also asked travelers if they would use laptops and tablets provided by airlines as part of a free loaner program on affected flights. While 57 percent of respondents said they would consider it, 42 percent said “absolutely not.”

Of the 1,566 responses, ExpertFlyer found that 40 percent said they would be directly impacted by the recent ban and 40 percent of those said they plan to reroute their itinerary to avoid the inconvenience. The remaining 60 percent affected by the ban said they would not change their travel itineraries and would simply adjust their typical in-flight activities accordingly.

Luxury Travel Advisor’s ULTRA Summit

May 21-23, 2019 | Reunion | Kissimmee, FL

This exclusive, invite-only event focused on the luxury travel market brings together world-class travel agency owners and managers with the most opulent, luxury suppliers to cultivate collaboration, share insights, and help carve a path into the future of luxury travel.

The ban targets specific airports, mostly in the Middle East, and applies only to direct flights to the U.S. Airports currently on the list include Cairo, Egypt; Dubai and Abu Dhabi, UAE; Istanbul, Turkey; Doha, Qatar; Amman, Jordan; Kuwait City, Kuwait; Casablanca, Morocco; and Jeddah and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Gary Leff, author at the frequent flyer blog, View from the Wing, analyzed the results of the survey and offered some insight about what this means for international travel, as well as alternative options that travelers may consider to avoid the inconvenience. “These are major world hubs that have become very efficient places for connections; not just between the U.S. and India but even to Asia from the east coast of the U.S,” Leff explains.  “For business travelers who have sensitive information on their computers, letting it out of their sight is not an option and they are left with only two choices; leave the laptop behind or adjust their itinerary to avoid the ban.”

Suggested Articles

Domaine des Etangs in the Charente countryside has Michelin-starred cuisine, an impressive spa and rooms split between the château and the longère.

Visitors who had reserved a ticket for a visit Monday afternoon were immediately informed by email and will receive an automatic refund. More here.

For the campaign, AmaWaterways is collaborating with LX.TV and Skycastle to make customized spots and specialized segments about AmaWaterways’ ships.