More good news from Switzerland: The Alpina Gstaad opened a new five-bedroom, six-bath suite on December 15. We're waiting for pictures (stay tuned!), but here's what ski fans can expect:
Located on the ground floor with two terraces and top views of the surrounding mountains, the 9,150-square-foot Alpina Suite has its own private gardens with whirlpools. (It also has direct access to the hotel and to the Six Senses Spa.)
A large foyer opens on to a 65-foot long gallery that leads to a living room with a bar and lounge. Fourteen arched floor-to-ceiling windows in the rotunda-like living room give direct access to the west-facing terrace.
Other amenities include a library with fireplace and a kitchen with a dining area (good for private family dinners, we say).
The Master Suite and the other four bedrooms all have dressing rooms and walk-in closets. Two double rooms connect to the master suite, making them convenient for guests with children.
In creating this new suite, HBA London continued with its contemporary interpretation of traditional Swiss chalet architecture using local materials from the Bernese Oberland, stone from the surrounding Alps and weathered timber from centuries-old farmhouses in Saanenland. The oversized leather chairs and down-filled sofas are perfect for unwinding after a day on the slopes.
A stay at the Alpina Suite includes the following:
- In room or buffet breakfast at Restaurant Sommet
- Daily culinary resort credit of CHF100 per person
- Mini fridge with complimentary wine, soft drinks & spirits restocked daily
- Guaranteed reservations at Restaurant Sommet
- Free use of any all terrain vehicles (Range Rover or Land Rover)
- Transfers to and from Gstaad shopping area, railway station, ski lifts
- Two studios for employees (hotel basement)
- Free parking (six private parking spaces in underground garage)
Good to know: During The Alpina Gstaad's high season (December through March and July and August), the minimum stay is 14 days. In the shoulder months of June and September, it is seven days.