Next year, Avalon Waterways will be introducing its completely revamped Avalon Choice program, offering travelers “Classic,” “Discovery” and “Active” options on every river cruise itinerary. The options include excursions such as:
Classic: A local expert guides travelers through the history and heritage of local destinations to marvel at legends, lore and architecture of iconic and “must see” historic sites.
Discovery: “Engaging, Cultural Experiences.” This selection of hands-on experiences offers travelers the chance to take part in a cooking or painting class, taste locally produced cheese and beer, take an early-riser walk to a café.
Active: “Exploration in Motion.” The broad menu of energetic excursions includes options such as a jogging tours or biking tour around different cities and a canoe trip on the Danube.
For instance, Avalon’s new, eight-day Active Discovery on the Rhône offers travelers the following “Active” and “Discovery” excursions:
- Port-Saint-Louis: Hike or bike through the Camargue Regional National Park or visit a local oyster farm
- Arles: Hike in Val d’Enfer or engage in a workshop to learn to paint like Van Gogh
- Avignon: E-bike through Tavel, enjoy a wine-tasting or tour the Museé des Aromes and make your own scent
- Viviers: Canoe through the Gorges de l’Ardéche, take a guided hike through the Natural Reserve of Cirque d’Estr, engage in an underground wine tasting in a cave, visit a crocodile farm and/or join a ghost tour
- Tournon/Tain L’Hermitage: Rail-bike along the descent of the Gorges du Doux, hike the vineyards surrounding the twin cities, tour the Valrhona factory and make your own chocolate bar and/or join a cooking demonstration
- Lyon: Take a guided hike in Parc de la Tête d’Or, join a culinary walk or make your own Saucisson brioché in a cooking class
To further help their guests go their own way, the company launched its new AvalonGo App, which includes a detailed, daily schedule of their itinerary, a list of nearby attractions (with hours of operation, historical facts and more), maps, directions and local cafés, restaurants, bars and entertainment options.