|Spa at Anantara The Palm Dubai Resort|
With the year winding down and 2016 rapidly approaching, the ever constant “New Year’s resolution” is creeping into the back of peoples’ minds. For anyone looking to welcome the New Year with a new healthy perspective, we've rounded up some notable spas and wellness opportunities that offer luxury accommodations with a healthy twist.
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit Unveils 12 New Wellness Suites
In October, Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit introduced 12 new Wellness Suites, providing travelers with a personal Spa Concierge (who counsel on spa treatments) and in-suite fitness amenities, including a yoga mat, dumbbells, resistance bands and a Life Fitness Activate Series Recumbent Lifecycle Exercise Bike.
Guests can enjoy a massage on the upper terrace of the suite, which affords views of the Banderas Bay. Later in the day, cool of in the suite with the Alchimia Apothecary Aromatherapy Kit. It includes scents like cedar, lavender, tangerine and myrrh, along with a Vitamin C Sprinkler that lightly spritzes guests on command with a warm bath of essential oils.
Other accommodations include a Nikken Kenko pillow, comforter and LED Lamp with a clock and timer that increases gradually, simulating the dawn and dusk (sounds like it could help jetlag). In addition to the new suites at Grand Velaas Riviera Nayarit, two Wellness Suites at sister property Casa Velas also opened in November.
Free Yoga on Select 2016 Star Clippers Cruises
Guests aboard select 2016 Star Clippers cruises will have the opportunity to start the year refreshed and rejuvenated … for free. Star Clippers has announced it will offer complimentary yoga and meditation classes onboard select sailings on all three of their ships in the Mediterranean in 2016.
Classes will be open to all fitness levels throughout the mornings and afternoons, contingent on the port schedules. The yoga courses will be conducted in English, as well as various languages based on the instructor’s fluency and will be open to all guests on a complimentary basis.
- May 7, 2016, Departure (Star Flyer): Robyn Mortiboys, RYT-200 yoga instructor, creates fun and creative sequences that challenge the mind, body and soul.
- May 21, 2016, Departure (Star Flyer): Jordi Lippe-McGraw, holistic health coach and meditation instructor, will be leading meditations and lectures, that will include tips on staying zen while traveling, the power of setting time aside to yourself, and healthy eating (knowing the clean 15 and dirty dozen).
- June 4, 2016, Departure, (Star Flyer): Jane Egginton, certified yoga instructor, completed training in Rishikesh, India, the capital of yoga. Jane teaches Akhanda yoga, a holistic approach that incorporates mediation and mindfulness and embraces a range of yoga styles.
- July 30, 2016, Departure (Royal Clipper): Liliana Skinner, certified vinayasa yoga instructor, her classes help people develop and improve challenging fun poses by preparing the body through interesting and intelligent sequencing and breath.
- August 6, 2016, Departure (Star Clipper): Paige MacKenzie Welborn, NYC’s premier Buti yoga instructor, she’ll be helping guests get in shape with exhilarating music, soul-stirring yoga, and heart-pounding exercise.
- August 20, 2016, Departure (Royal Clipper): Masha Sapron, yoga instructor who studied Iyengar, Ashtanga, Anusara, Vini, Bikram and Vinyasa Flow. Her classes blend steadiness and sweetness and through no effort of her own (the practice is just built that way) will leave you too, feeling good.
- August 27, 2016, Departure (Star Clipper): Catherine Derrow is a seasoned yoga teacher, personal trainer and group fitness instructor. Her fitness philosophy is centered on moderation, and she encourages everyone to find some kind of physical activity that they love.
- November 3, 2016, Departure (Royal Clipper): Inge Schops is a yoga teacher, author and mental coach. She is the author of many bestselling yoga books in Germany.
New Hammam at Anantara Dubai
Anantara The Palm Dubai Resort recently expanded its spa, updating the two-tier hammam and adding an additional six treatment rooms.
The spa now comprises 24 separate rooms, as well as new male, female and a couples hammam facilities. The ground floor remains the same, with six single treatment rooms with showers, two beauty rooms, a Thai massage suite, a holistic cocoon room, an Ayurveda suite and three couples’ suites, each of which feature a Serali steam bath, experience showers and an infinity solo pool bath.
The first floor has doubled the number of single treatments rooms to eight and added two new couples’ massage rooms with built in sauna, showers and whirlpool featuring Microsilk technology.
The most dramatic change to the spa is the new Turkish-style hammam, which offers separate male and female facilities, relaxation areas, changing rooms, a dedicated couples hammam, reception, and a boutique for shopping, along with an expanded treatment menu of over 30 therapies.
Guests looking to start the New Year refreshed can also experience two new 120 minute signature treatments; the Royal Hammam and Nam Jai.
Hotels and Hiking in Switzerland
Looking for a more adventurous start to the New Year? In October, Natalie Maneval wrote about Hotel Riffelhaus, situated near the Alps in Riffelberg just above the village of Zermatt, where guests can enjoy hiking and biking opportunities, along with cozy accommodations. ("Hotels and Hiking in Zermatt, Switzerland")
Because of its prime mountain location, the hotel affords scenic views of the Matterhorn and surrounding mountains, and allows adventure seekers a chance to experience exceptional skiing.
Zermatt also offers other outdoor activities besides skiing, including hiking trails. One of these leads directly to a site where glaciers left large caverns in the ground, also known as a glacier garden.
“There are large trail signs at the village limits that will lead hikers the correct way,” wrote Maneval. “Here’s a tip: Yellow trail signs point to easy trails, red signs point to intermediate hikes and blue signs point to alpine trails, which are the most difficult. Hikers will encounter a suspension bridge along this hike that was built in 2011 from cable car wires. Those with a fear of heights may want to skip this bridge, but it is stable and strongly built.”
In addition to the property’s more adventurous quirks, guests can also warm up in the hotel spa’s hot tub, which offers breathtaking views of the mountains. The Junior Suite (one of the two suites on property) comprises a bedroom, separate living room and a large balcony with a fabulous view of the Matterhorn.
Club Med Punta Cana’s New Zen Oasis Offers an Exotic Escape
For a relaxing escape, Club Med is unveiling a new adult-only amenity at Club Med Punta Cana; Zen Oasis.
We recently wrote about this new facility ("Club Med Punta Cana Launches Zen Oasis"), which offers a tranquil space that focuses on wellbeing, secluded along the northeast edge of the resort in an effort to help generate a calm, quiet environment. Guests can spend all day in the Zen pool (complete with in-water lounge chairs), an Olympic sized lap pool or the concealed beach. Here, guests are also invited to participate in yoga or to sip a smoothie at the Hibiscus Bar & Lounge.
After a day of rejuvenation, guests can retreat back to their own, newly renovated, Zen Oasis Room. It is complete with rainfall showers, large soaking tubs and yoga mats. Relaxing daybeds can also be found on either the private terraces or garden.
Additionally, the spa is offering two new treatments, including The Spa Bath Experience and VIP Couples packages. During the couples' treatment, guests can choose from three themes, including relaxing, revitalizing and sport. Then the guests can combine the theme with a package, including Coconut Tree Siesta, Sand Dunes Rest and Lagoon Invitation.