Historic Charleston Foundation announced the dates for its 67th annual spring Festival Houses and Gardens, taking place from March 19 through April 18, 2014.
The festival offers guests access into some of Charleston’s finest private houses and gardens in the city historic district during peak blooming season. In addition to house and garden tours, special events include a concert series, wine and spirit tastings, educational lectures and more. Kicking off the festival’s first weekend of festivities is the 11th annual Charleston Antiques Show, March 21-23, 2014, with the elegant opening night Preview Party on March 19. Both shows celebrate the decorative arts, history and culture found only in Charleston. Tickets for both the Festival and Antiques Show are on sale now.
Aiken-Rhett House Picnic and Oyster Roast (Photo by Historic Charleston Foundation)
The 67th annual spring Festival of Houses and Gardens includes a series of tours and events:
- House and Garden Tours: Each self-guided tour will provide exclusive entrance into the private residences, historic properties, and gardens otherwise only viewed from the sidewalks of Charleston’s earliest neighborhoods.
- Daily Morning History Walks: Expert guides lead two-hour walking tours of the Old and Historic District, providing the background for the Festival’s house and garden tours.
- Musical Concerts: From bluegrass to instrumental classical music, each concert is an opportunity for guests to experience period music in an intimate historic setting with informative interpretations.
- Luncheon Lectures: This series of entertaining and educational presentations features different speakers daily along with a light lunch. Topics range from Charleston cuisine to Charleston history and architecture.
- Wine and Spirits Tastings: Guests will discover why Charleston is known for its fine cuisine while savoring wines with paired hors d’oeuvres.
In its 11th year, the Charleston Antiques Show, managed by the Antiques Council, will kick off the Festival with several special opportunities to learn more about antiques and decorative arts:
- Opening Night Preview Party: A social event with entertainment and elegant décor in a setting that showcases the English, European and American period antiques including furnishings, decorative arts and fine art, architectural elements, garden furniture, vintage jewelry and silver. Unlimited daily admission to the show is included.
- Special Event Package: Members of the Charleston Antiques Show’s “Collectors Circle” will be invited to the Preview Party as well a private cocktail hour preceding the event. The Collectors Circle is a customized package that includes exclusive invitations to parties taking place in historically significant, grand private residences; access to the private Collectors Circle Room; as well as unlimited daily admission to the show through the Collectors Circle Member entrance and more.
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours: Guests will learn more about collecting antiques and how to incorporate historic objects into any décor during educational and entertaining tours.
(Photos courtesy of the Historic Charleston Foundation)