Preferred Hotels & Resorts has announced the winners of its 2019 Preferred Awards of Excellence and GIFTTS Pineapple Award initiatives. The luxury hospitality company, entering its 15th year of ownership by the Ueberroth family, honored it top independent hotels and philanthropic efforts of its member properties.
The awards were presented at the closing ceremony of the 2019 Preferred Global Conference, which took place at the Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort in Monaco from February 25 to March 1.
2019 Preferred Awards of Excellence
The Preferred Awards of Excellence recognize partners across the company’s network that “epitomize excellence within the Preferred Hotels & Resorts brand promise and inspire the global travel community to pursue #ThePreferredLife.” This year’s winners include:
- Hotel of the Year – Asia Pacific: The Siam (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Hotel of the Year – United States & Canada: Edgewood Tahoe Resort (Nevada, United States)
- Hotel of the Year – Latin America: Hotel Unique (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Hotel of the Year – Mexico & Caribbean: Condado Vanderbilt Hotel (San Juan, Puerto Rico)
- Hotel of the Year – Europe: The Alpina Gstaad (Gstaad, Switzerland)
- Hotel of the Year – India, Middle East & Africa: The Imperial New Delhi (New Delhi, India)
- New Hotel of the Year – Resort: Montage Los Cabos (Cabos San Lucas, Mexico)
- New Hotel of the Year – City Center: The Post Oak Hotel at Uptown Houston (Texas, United States)
- Hotel of the Year Overall: The Leela Palace Udaipur (Udaipur, India)
- Hotelier of the Year: Stephan Stokkermans, Managing Director, Grand Hotel Huis ter Duin (Noordwijk aan Zee, Netherlands)
- I Prefer Hotel of the Year: Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport (British Columbia, Canada)
To qualify for nomination, hotels were required to rank among the top in their region as part of the Preferred Hotels & Resorts Integrated Quality Assurance program—which takes into account the results of a professional on-site inspection and guest feedback from top consumer review sites—and actively demonstrate strong engagement in their partnership with the brand. From the pool of qualified hotels, the company’s team of regional leaders created a shortlist of nominees across the seven categories. The awards committee, chaired by the Ueberroth Family, selected the winners.
GIFTTS Pineapple Award Winners
At each Preferred Global Conference, Preferred Hotels & Resorts also recognizes member hotels that showcase “an outstanding commitment to philanthropy, community, sustainability and education” as part of its GIFTTS (Great Initiatives for Today’s [Tomorrow’s] Society) program. With more than 75 properties nominated in 2019 for their efforts, the winners of the 10th annual GIFTTS Pineapple Awards are as follows:
- Overall Corporate Entity Winner – Nordic Hotels & Resorts
- Overall Excellence Winner – Royal Plaza on Scotts (Singapore)
- Philanthropy Winner – Grand Hotel Excelsior (Valletta, Malta)
- Sustainability Winner – The Imperial New Delhi (New Delhi, India)
- Education Winner – Wynn and Encore Las Vegas (Las Vegas, Nevada, United States)
- Community Service Winner – The Peabody Memphis (Memphis, Tennessee, United States)