Both destinations provide dining options with special offerings for the holiday, such as the King Cole Bar, which specializes in mixology, the J & G Grill, chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten's steak and seafood-centered eatery, and Carolina, an elegant restaurant with al fresco seating.
The King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Mexico City is known for its cocktails that include the choice national liquor, tequila. Here are a few selections and instructions for how to create the Mexican-inspired concoctions at home:
- Sun Miguel – natural mango juice from concentrate, tequila (Herradura Plata), Chamoy, fresh lemon juice, ice
Blend mango concentrate, lemon juice, tequila and ice in a blender. Add chili powder on the edge of a martini glass. Serve and decorate with Chamoy.
- Guava Martini – natural guava juice from concentrate, pineapple juice, tequila (Reserva de los González), ice
Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass. Add ice. Shake vigorously. Serve in a martini glass with salt on the rim.
- Cadillac 70 – tequila (Don Julio 70), lemon juice, natural syrup, Triple Sec, Grand Marnier, ice
Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass. Shake vigorously. Serve on the rocks in a glass with salt on the rim.
From the kitchen of Chef Maycoll Calderon at the J&G Grill of The St. Regis Mexico City, we have the inspiration for his signature Avocado pizza:
For the dough:
250 g AP Flour
165 g Water
1 g Dry yeast
7.5 g Salt
7.5 g Sugar
Combine all ingredients and mix until it comes together. Work for an additional 30 seconds until tight and uniform, then transfer to a bowl, brush the top with extra virgin olive oil and cover tightly. Place in a warm spot until exactly tripled in volume.
- Sweet onion - shaved very thin
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 90g (1) ripe, local avocado, outer layer wiped off, sliced thin and portioned into a 6’ circle
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Jalapeño - chopped
- Lime wedge
- Lime zest
- Cilantro leaves
Stretch dough and scatter some shaved onions in the center, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season gently with salt. Cook pizza until lightly charred and deep golden. Transfer to a cutting board and place avocado onto pie. Cut in ¼’s and transfer to a plate, then season with extra virgin olive oil, salt, lime zest, and cilantro leaves.
We also have the scoop about the Carolina restaurant at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort’s special Cinco de Mayo menu, created by Chef Jose Meza. Dishes made with traditional, locally sourced Mexican ingredients will be served, including:
- Memelas, black beans, cactus, guajillo salsa
- Pesto, queso fresco, heirloom tomatoes, serrano chili
- Shrimp soup, scallops and purslane
- Pork chop, grilled vegetables, caderas mole
- Caramelized plantain, cinnamon ice cream
- Burnt milk ice-cream, assorted fruits