Abercrombie & Kent is offering travelers new luxury adventure itineraries for 2014, including the Burmese countryside, sail along Svlabard, ride elephants in South Africa and more.
“Each year our planners fan out around the world to find the next ‘must-see’ destinations – and the most rewarding ways to explore them,” says founder, chairman and CEO Geoffrey Kent.
Chosen by Geoffrey Kent and Abercrombie & Kent’s planning team, the following are eight must-visit destinations for 2014:
1. Myanmar – Interest in travel to this destination has increased since the National League for Democracy, founded by Nobel Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi, began to welcome responsible tourism. Western travelers have rarely visited the Burmese countryside. Travelers can go on a river cruise aboard the new Sanctuary Ananda.
2. Arctic – Travelers can go on an adventure cruise aboard MV Le Boreal. Discover polar bears in their natural habitat on the Svalbard archipelago; explore the Kejser Franz Joseph Fjords and Scoresby Sound in Greenland; and walk through one of Iceland's Grundarfjördur village, followed by views of the Snaefellsjokull volcano.
3. Sri Lanka – Visit ancient cities, tea plantations and hill stations as well as wildlife, temples and golden beaches. Abercrombie & Kent has opened its first office in Sri Lanka.
4. Mongolia – Destination landscapes include Buddhist monasteries and clear lakes. Travelers can go on a Gobi Desert ride on a Bactrian camel through dunes and the Flaming Cliffs. Geoffrey Kent recommends the annual Naadam Festival, where the nation’s best athletes compete in archery, horse racing and wrestling.
5. Russia – Take a walking tour of Red Square and the onion-shaped domes of St. Basil's Cathedral to the Kremlin and the State Armory, home of artifacts that date back to the 14th Century. In St. Petersburg, visit Petrodvorets and the Hermitage Museum.
6. Southern Africa by River and Rail – Travelers will experience the rivers of Africa in Botswana and Zambia. Sail down the Chobe River on the ‘Zambezi Queen.’ Enjoy game drives in open four-wheel-drive vehicles, ride an elephant along the river, fly above Victoria Falls in a helicopter and travel aboard the Edwardian Rovos Rail. Kent also suggests tiger fishing.
7. Sicily – Travelers will get to enjoy art, archaeological treasures, history, folklore and breathtaking Mediterranean scenery.
8. Tasmania – The recent opening of the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) has placed this destination into the international art scene. MONA houses an extraordinary collection that ranges from ancient Egyptian mummies to contemporary art.