Abercrombie & Kent (A&K) has launched a new journey, “Italy and the Palio: An Inspiring Expedition by Geoffrey Kent,” hosted by the company’s founder and the Duke of Roxburghe, Charles Innes-Ker. Set to depart in August 2024, this expedition invites travelers to discover the culture and traditions of Italy, culminating in the Palio di Siena horse race.
Both Geoffrey Kent and the Duke of Roxburghe will share their personal stories, insights and adventures, offering a unique perspective on travel and exploration.
Highlights of the expedition include:
- Verona & The Italian Lakes – The journey starts with a cultural immersion in the city of Verona, famous as the setting for Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet.” Travelers will explore the city and partake in a private visit to the Capulet family residence, complete with the balcony where Romeo declared his love for Juliet. This exclusive experience also includes an exploration of the Castelvecchio Museum, a 14th-century castle steeped in history.
- A Taste of the Tuscan Countryside – Travelers will visit the picturesque town of Montalcino and enjoy wine tastings at a family-run wine estate
- Siena’s Palio – The tour’s centerpiece is the Palio di Siena. Guests will gain exclusive access to the horse race, with premium seats and behind-the-scenes insights
- Capri & The Amalfi Coast by Private Yacht – The trip includes stops at Marina Piccola, the Blue Grotto and a seaside lunch at Conca del Sogno. Guests can admire the scenic villages of the Amalfi Coast and disembark for strolls in Amalfi and Positano
- Pompeii – Guests can explore Pompeii with an archeologist and board a helicopter for a flightseeing trip over the site
Good to know: Guests can enjoy a welcome dinner at Michelin-starred restaurant Oseleta, a cooking lesson with Nonna Antonia and a special dinner in Verona with a private Three Tenors-themed performance. In Capri, they can cruise to Conca del Sogno restaurant to enjoy lunch on a terrace overlooking the sea. The journey concludes in the village of Gragnano with a visit to a pasta factory for a cooking demonstration and lunch prepared by a Michelin-starred chef.
In terms of accommodations, Villa Cordevigo, an estate with a Michelin-star restaurant, and Villa Cetinale in Tuscany, are both reserved exclusively for this trip. On the island of Capri, guests enjoy three nights at Caesar Augustus, once an ancient private villa, now a luxurious and secluded hotel perched on the island’s rocky outcrop.