The airline industry is ever-evolving, making changes and following trends to best suit luxury consumer needs and desires. The best airlines are constantly adding new wrinkles to their products and services to suit the modern-day air traveler, and we rounded up the very latest. Here are the most recent offerings:
Singapore Airlines' In-Flight Offerings for New A380s
Singapore Airlines has debuted the wide range of in-flight offerings available on its latest A380 aircraft, including soft furnishings, amenities, high-end dining options, and in-flight entertainment.
- Furnishings: Singapore Airlines' Suites will receive plush mattress bedding, two pillows and a cotton duvet, complete with embroidery designed by French luxury brand, Lalique. Customers in Singapore's suites get a complimentary sleeper suit, slippers, eye shades and socks. Meanwhile, Business Class is enhanced with padded bed sheets, blankets and a larger pillow.
- Amenities: Suite customers on select flights will receive an amenity kit with toiletries and perfumes, lip balm and a specialty designed pouch. In addition, the ladies’ set includes a face moisturizer and hand cream while the men’s set includes a body lotion and aftershave balm. They can also choose a unisex kit containing lifestyle items featuring a candle, scented soap, lip balm and body lotion. In Business Class, customers can enjoy a range of Penhaligon’s washroom amenities on board and customers in the economy classes will get an amenity kit featuring a special A380 livery to commemorate the launch.
- In-Flight Dining: Suite customers will be able to dine with Wedgwood serviceware and crystal glassware, with every meal complemented by a selection of fine wines and champagnes put together by a panel of wine experts. The new meal options have been created by the International Culinary Panel and include sustainable ingredients and fresh local produce.
- KrisWorld In-Flight Entertainment: Customers flying on the new A380s will experience the launch of myKrisWorld, a new interactive entertainment feature of KrisWorld, a portal that has movies, TV programs, apps, games and music. MyKrisWorld adds to that with content recommendations based on customer preferences, bookmarking and resuming content, and customizing and saving preferences and playlists on myKrisWorld for subsequent flights.
Singapore Airlines’ New Cabin Products for A380 Fleet
Singapore Airlines Business Class
Along with the in-flight offerings, the airline has unveiled its new cabin products that will be fitted to its Airbus A380 fleet starting next month. The new cabin offerings aim to provide more space and privacy for passengers in all classes.
- Suites: With six suites placed within the front cabin of the upper deck, customers will get an experience of exclusivity and privacy. Each suite is furnished with a full-flat bed with adjustable recline and plush leather chair, enabling customers to lounge in the chair or rest in bed without the need to convert the bed from a sitting position. Each seat is upholstered by by Poltrana Frau in fine leather, and is fully adjustable using an electronic control side panel. The suites also have a 32-inch full HD monitor that can swivel for the different viewing angles in seat and bed modes, a full-sized personal wardrobe, customized handbag stowage compartment, amenity box, specially designed carpet, and a feature wall with mood lighting.
- Business Class: Designed by JPA Design, the Business Class has a smooth look and comfortable amenities. The seats, made of a carbon fiber composite that allow for more space, have two side wings for back support and recline directly into a full-flat bed. Customers can also stretch out fully in a sun-deck position to watch movies on the 18-inch HD touch-screen monitor. Business class also has a business panel equipped with USB ports and in-seat power, reading lights with adjustable brightness level, mood lighting, enlarged dining table designed for flexibility, and stowage space for personal amenities.
- Premium Economy Class: The premium economy class includes a full leather finishing, calf-rest and foot-bar for every seat, individual in-seat power supply, two USB ports, personal in-seat reading light, cocktail table, and more stowage space for personal items. Each seat has an eight-inch recline and seat pitch of 38 inches. Customers will also get in-flight entertainment complete with noise-cancelling headphones.
- Economy Class: Designed and built by RECARO, these economy class seats offer more space and comfort through an improved design with more legroom and back support and a six-way adjustable headrest with foldable wings. The 11.1-inch touch-screen monitor eliminates the need for handsets and offers a more convenient way to watch the latest entertainment on KrisWorld. Also included in Economy Class is a non-intrusive reading light, personal storage space, in-seat power supply, and a footrest with adjustable positions.
Emirates’ New Boeing 777 First Class product to debut in December
Emirates Boeing 777 -300ER
Emirates is going to debut its updated First-Class Cabin on its first two Boeing 777-300ER aircraft on December 1, when they begin operating from Dubai to the airline’s Belgian and Swiss destinations. The new First-Class Cabin will have six private suites laid out in a 1-by-1-by-1 layout, compared to the eight private suites in a 1-by-2-by-1 layout on its existing 777 fleet, allowing more space and exclusivity for passengers.
Before entering commercial service, the new product will be on display at the Dubai Airshow between November 12 and 16. It promises to build upon the existing first-class suites that already include amenity kits, in-flight entertainment with 2,500 channels of the latest movies and tv shows, therapeutic skin care products, a shower spa, gourmet meals, private cinemas, and more.
Delta's First All-Suites Business Class Cabin
Delta One Suite
Delta Air Lines launched its first all-suites business class cabin on its inaugural Airbus A350 flight from Detroit to Narita on October 30. The Delta One Suites accommodate 32 guests, offering each passenger private space accessed by a sliding door with personal stowage areas and an advanced in-flight entertainment system. The suites are arranged in a staggered 1-by-2-by-1 configuration to maximize space and privacy as well.
The Delta One Suites include:
- Full flat-bed seats with direct aisle access
- A full-height door at every suite
- Sliding privacy dividers between center suites
- In-suite, customizable ambient lighting
- Stowage compartments for shoes, headphones, laptops and the like
- Memory foam comfort cushion
- An 18-inch in-flight entertainment monitor that plays hundreds of movies and tv shows, or streams other content through Wi-Fi.
- A universal power outlet and high-powered USB port at every seat.
Virtual Reality Aboard Air France’s JOON Airline
Photo by LagartoFilm/iStock/Getty Images Plus/Getty Images
Air France recently launched its new airline, JOON, designed to cater to the younger “millennial” generation of travelers with low-cost options and flexible, personalized travel experiences. One of JOON’s most unique amenities is the AlloSky Virtual Reality Headset that is available to Business customers on long-haul flights in collaboration with SkyLights.
The headsets provide new innovations like an HD screen and a diopter correction to adapt to everyone’s eyes. Passengers will be able to watch TV shows and movies through the YouJoon portal, or stream their own entertainment.