Theater fans (sorry, that would be theatre fans) in the UK are buzzing about Andrew Lloyd Webber’s new musical, Stephen Ward, which started previews last week. The musical tells the story of the osteopath who introduced British politician John Profumo to showgirl Christine Keeler, kicking off the notorious Profumo Affair that led to the downfall of Prime Minister MacMillan’s government in 1963.
The show and its dramatic backstory would be exciting enough, but there's a cool travel connection here: Ward lived at Cliveden House in Berkshire, just outside London, in the estate's Spring Cottage. (Cliveden House, of course, went on to become the Cliveden Hotel.) The cottage was allegedly the place where Keeler met Profumo.
Cliveden House is introducing a new experience to celebrate its notorious past: In partnership with One Aldwych, the Stephen Ward Theater Break includes an overnight stay at two hotels. The tour starts at One Aldwych with a three-course dinner in either of its two restaurants – Axis and Indigo – before guests head over to catch the show. (The Aldwych Theater is a short walk from the hotel.) After the performance, guests stay the night at One Aldwych before being chauffeured to Cliveden House the following morning. The day is spent at the hotel where the Profumo Affair took place, and includes a guided tour of the grounds, dinner at the recently opened restaurant (André Garrett at Cliveden) and a one-night stay.
· An overnight stay in a Deluxe Double with picturesque views of the estate
· Three course dinner at André Garrett at Cliveden
· A guided tour of the House and Spring Cottage
· Use of the indoor swimming pool, squash courts, gym and hot tubs
· Admission to the National Trust grounds
· Cocktails in the buzzing Lobby Bar
· Three course pre-theater dinner in the hotel’s Axis or Indigo restaurants
· Overnight stay in either a Deluxe Room or circular Studio Suite with views of Waterloo Bridge and an English breakfast
· Use of the chlorine-free swimming pool with underwater music, health club and guest lounge
Valid from December 20, 2013-March 1, 2014