by Oliver Smith, The Daily Telegraph, October 18, 2016
Three British restaurants, including one in Birmingham, are among the 10 best in the world, according to TripAdvisor.
For the second year in a row, Restaurante Martin Berasategui in Lasarte-Oria – near San Sebastian, Spain – took the top spot in the website’s annual fine dining awards, based on ratings given by users during the past 12 months. Two French establishments, Maison Lameloise in Chagny, Burgundy, and L'Auberge de I'lll in Illhaeusern, Alsace, completed the top three, but no country was as well represented in the top 10 as the UK.
|Photo by Michael Blann/DigitalVision/Getty Images|
The world's best restaurants, according to TripAdvisor
- Martin Berasategui, Lasarte, Spain
- Maison Lameloise, Chagny, France
- L'Auberge de I'lll, Illhaeusern, France
- Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons, Great Milton, United Kingdom
- Ristorante Don Alfonso, Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, Italy
- Alinea, Chicago, United States
- Waterside Inn, Bray on Thames, United Kingdom
- Voila Bistrot, Paraty, Brazil
- Adam's, Birmingham, United Kingdom
- Azurmendi Gastronomico, Larrabetzu, Spain
Fourth place went to Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons in Oxfordshire, run by Raymond Blanc, sixth was the Waterside Inn in Bray, one of four restaurants in the country with three Michelin stars (Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, and The Fat Duck are the others), while Adam’s in Birmingham, with just one Michelin star, was named ninth best in the world. Though still something of a coup, this actually represents a fall in the rankings for Adam’s, which was named fourth best in 2015.
TripAdvisor’s list is at odds with the annual rankings published by Restaurant magazine, based on a poll of chefs and critics – just two of its top 10 for 2016 feature in Restaurant’s top 50: Alinea, in 15th, and Azurmendi, in 16th.
The world's best restaurants, according to Restaurant magazine
- Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
- El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
- Eleven Madison Park, New York City
- Central, Lima
- Noma, Copenhagen
- Mirazur, Menton, France
- Mugaritz, Errenteria, Spain
- Narisawa, Tokyo
- Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
- Asador Etxebarri, Axpe, Spain
According to TripAdvisor, an algorithm is used to determine the winners – it takes into account the frequency and quality of reviews over a 12-month period. The first winner of the gong, back in 2014, was El Celler de Can Roca .
The Michelin guide, unsurprisingly perhaps, favours France when it comes to its ratings.
There are 26 French restaurants with three stars, putting it ahead of Japan (25) and the US (13), and 600 with at least one star, 181 more than its nearest rival (Japan).
TripAdvisor also released its top 10 UK fine-dining restaurants (see below). See its website for more information on the awards .
The best UK restaurants, according to TripAdvisor
- Belmond Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons, Great Milton, Oxfordshire
- Waterside Inn, Bray on Thames, Berkshire
- Adam's, Birmingham, West Midlands
- The Fat Duck, Bray on Thames, Berkshire
- The Three Chimneys Restaurant, Colbost, Isle of Skye
- Prithvi, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Northcote Restaurant, Langho, Lancashire
- The Old Stamp House Restaurant, Ambleside, Cumbria
- The Five Fields, London
- L'Enclume, Cartmel, Cumbria
This article was written by Oliver Smith from The Daily Telegraph and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.