New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo visited with President Donald Trump at the White House on Thursday to come to a compromise to the administration’s ban of New Yorkers being able to apply for or renew their membership in Trusted Traveler Programs, which includes Global Entry. According to the communications director for Gov. Cuomo, the sides did not reach a solution and plan to revisit the discussion next week.
The full statement reads, "Governor Cuomo met with President Trump today to discuss the situation and the dire need to rectify it. Governor Cuomo restated the initial solution that he proposed to the [Department of Homeland Security] Acting Secretary last Thursday on our willingness to allow federal officials access to DMV records only for individuals applying to the Trusted Traveler Program.
"As the Governor previously said, we believe DHS's action was politically motivated and unwarranted as the FBI already has information regarding criminal records and TTP applicants already go through an extensive federal background check. The President said that this is an issue he wants to work on and that he would follow up with the Governor next week."
Earlier this week, Gov. Cuomo announced that New York state intends to sue the federal government over the decision, saying, “There is no rational basis for this politically motivated ban, and we are taking legal action to stop the federal government from inconveniencing New Yorkers to score political points.” The lawsuit argues that the decision is a violation of New York’s sovereign immunity, denies state residences equal protection and is arbitrary and capricious.