At the James Beard House in New York City, Windstar Cruises and the James Beard Foundation announced their partnership to create a lineup of culinary cruises throughout 2017. The James Beard Foundation Culinary Cruise Collection will comprise eight sailings to the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Asia, and the Caribbean—each with a different James Beard-selected chef preparing a unique menu for guests.
Windstar’s corporate executive chef Graeme Cockburn did a live cooking demonstration and served dishes like Fois Gras Cromesquis with cured golden raisins to guests of the event, who were the first to hear the list of North American chefs that Chef Cockburn’s team will partner with on the cruises.
“Other cruise lines have one celebrity chef, but thanks to our partnership with the James Beard Foundation, we have an array of incredible culinary superstars in our ranks,” said Windstar president John Delaney.
The guest chefs will host cooking demonstrations, shore excursions, and market tours, and will have items added to the menu of AmphorA, Windstar’s main dining room. The small size of Windstar ships allows guests plenty of personal interaction with the chefs.
The lineup includes:
- May 6, 2017 — Islands of the West Med with Chef Jennifer Jasinski of Rioja, Euclid Hall, Bistro Vendome, and Stoic & Genuine in Denver, CO
- June 16, 2017 — Cuisines & Cultures of Spain, Portugal, and France with Chef Annie Pettry of Decca in Louisville, KY
- August 4, 2017 — Lands of the Midnight Sun with Chef Paul Berglund of The Bachelor Farmer in Minneapolis, MN
- September 2, 2017 — Gaelic Explorers with Chef Renee Erickson of The Whale Wins, The Walrus & the Carpenter, Barnacle, Bar Melusine, Bateau, and General Porpoise in Seattle, WA
- October 18, 2017 — Islands of the West Med with Chef Amy Brandwein of Centrolina in Washington, D.C.
- November 10, 2017 — Jewels of the Windward Islands with Chef Keith Rhodes of Catch Restaurant in Wilmington, NC
- December 9, 2017 — San Juan & the Virgin Islands with Chef Mario Pagán of MARIO PAGAN Restaurant, SAGE Steak Loft, Dorado Beach & Golf Resort, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- January 20, 2018 — Icons of Southeast Asia with Chef Lee Anne Wong of Koko Head Café in Honolulu, HI
Additionally, Windstar will be sailing with chef, restaurateur, and author Hugh Acheson aboard the James Beard Foundation Epicurean Explorations of France, Spain, and Portugal. The itinerary sails to Bordeaux for an overnight stay and wine valley visit, as well as a stop at the oyster beds of Northern France. Acheson’s longtime colleague, Sommelier Steven Grubbs, will co-host the cruise to lead wine tastings and pair varietals and vintages to complement Acheson’s demonstrations.
In addition, as part of the partnership as the exclusive cruise line of the James Beard Foundation, Windstar is a sponsor of: the James Beard Awards; JBF’s Taste America tour, a two-day tour in 10 U.S. cities of fundraising dinners and complimentary culinary tastings, the JBF Celebrity Chef Tour, a dinner series in over 20 cities; and Chefs & Champagne, the James Beard Foundation’s annual trendy summer tasting party in the Hamptons.
For additional information, contact Windstar Cruises by phone at 877-958-7718, or visit www.windstarcruises.com.