Before we know it, fall will be here. To take advantage of these last days of summer, American Express Travel has compiled a list of top trending destinations based off its U.S. Card Member’s proprietary booking data and year-over-year growth.
American Express found the top trending destinations were dominated by unconventional locations abroad. Here are the hottest destinations:
- Da Nang, Vietnam (97 percent growth): This emerging destination in Vietnam has slowly crept its way up the list as new modernist hotels, apartments and restaurants continue to pop up.
- Ljubljana, Slovenia (91 percent growth): It comes as little surprise that Slovenia's capital and largest city—and Europe’s greenest city—is continuing to see a steady rise in tourism.
- Iguazu Falls, Argentina (79 percent growth): More than one million visitors a year now visit Iguazu Falls; visitors can visit both the Argentinean side and Brazilian side in just a day.
- Ponta Delgada, Portugal (79 percent growth): With Delta’s new daily flights from JFK International Airport direct to Ponta Delgada, in just under six hours New Yorkers can easily escape the city and explore the Azores.
American Express Travel also recently conducted a survey, sampling 2,200 U.S. consumers, and found that:
- Half of the consumers surveyed would be willing to spend up to $50 more on a $500 hotel bill for early check-in or late check-out
- Over 50 percent of consumers like to use the same brands of hotels every time they travel because they like knowing what they will get no matter where they are traveling and are willing to pay more for this
- Older Gen Zers are two times more likely than boomers to spend more on luxury experiences this year
- 74 percent of Older Gen Zers believe a premium hotel is worth the cost