South Australia, a gateway to world-renowned wine regions and restaurants, exceptional wildlife and the Outback, is again hosting the culinary festival Tasting Australia from April 5-14, 2019. This year, the program includes an epicurean flotilla on the Murray River, a surf safari and seafood feast on the Yorke Peninsula, and chartered flights to Coffin Bay, Kangaroo Island, Mayura Station, the Barossa Valley and Flinders Ranges.
Highlights of Tasting Australia 2019 include:
- Tasting Australia Flotilla – Join the crew for three days/two nights aboard the historic PS Marion or book your own houseboat to cruise at your leisure
- Surf Food Safari – A three-day/two-night adventure through Innes National Park with personal instructors guiding surfers in steady swell and chefs Darren Robertson (Three Blue Ducks) and Simon Burr (Olfactory Inn) providing delicious fare during peak crayfish season
- Tasting Australia Airlines – The return of the 2018 hero event, guests enjoy charter flights to Coffin Bay for a weekend or day trip; plus day trips to Kangaroo Island, Mayura Station, Flinders Ranges and the Barossa Valley by charter plane
- Due Volte at Yalumba – An Italian feast at Yalumba in the evocative Tank 11 & 12
- Masterclasses – Curated by Nick Stock and East End Cellars showcasing Champagne Bollinger, blend-your-own Torbreck Run Rig shiraz and more
Festival director chef Simon Bryant (The Cook and The Chef), programming director chef Jock Zonfrillo (Restaurant Orana) and beverage director Nick Stock have sought out fresh ideas and the hottest talent to bring Tasting Australia to life.
The festival will feature top chefs from around the world including Alex Atala from D.O.M. in Brazil (No. 30 in the World’s 50 Best Restaurants), Thai aficionado David Thompson, and Peter Gilmore from Gourmet Traveller’s Restaurant of the Year, Quay. Alongside them will be a line-up of established and emerging talent including Shinobu Namea (L’Effervescence, Tokyo) and Manu Buffera (Restaurant Manu, Brazil).
Esteemed local South Australia chefs participating in the festival include Adam Liston (Shōbōsho), Jessie Spiby (My Grandma Ben), Emma Shearer (The Lost Loaf), Bethany Finn (Mayflower Restaurant), Karena Armstong (The Salopian Inn), Michael Downer (Murdoch Hill), Kate Laurie (Deviation Road), Louisa Rose (Yalumba) and Stephen Pannell (SC Pannell).