With travel likely shifting towards domestic destinations rather than international, Abercrombie & Kent (A&K), which earned Luxury Travel Advisor's Award of Excellence for Best Luxury FIT Operator, added six new Tailor Made USA adventures across the American West and Alaska, in addition to two Great American Road Trips, each with private guides and carefully vetted accommodations.
Tailor Made USA
Abercrombie & Kent’s new itineraries include wildlife viewing on private ranches, access to historic sites off-limits to most visitors and meetings with tribal elders and historians who share stories about traditions that are quickly disappearing.
- Alaskan Wonder: Experience America’s last frontier, taking in views by river and air, visiting historic sites, quaint towns and wildlife-rich landscapes. Gain a new perspective on Denali with a flightseeing adventure—complete with the chance to land on a glacier. Cruise off the Kenai Peninsula, navigating glaciers while searching for orcas and whales. Visit the sled dog kennels of a champion Iditarod musher and try leading a team.
- Grand Teton & Yellowstone: Seek out wildlife and scenery in two of America’s greatest national parks. Spend a full day exploring Yellowstone, site of Old Faithful and home to free-roaming bison, on privately guided hikes. Explore Grand Teton National Park on a wildlife-spotting excursion led by a private naturalist guide. Float down the Snake River in a traditional river dory.
- National Parks by Air: Take in Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Yellowstone via privately chartered air. Hike the Grand Canyon with a private guide, track bison and bears in Grand Teton and Yellowstone and visit secluded, rarely seen slot canyons, as well as the natural landscape of Arches National Park.
- Northern California: Experience San Francisco with a privately guided walking tour. Explore Yosemite on a full-day privately guided excursion and see El Capitan, Half Dome and Yosemite Falls. Ride the Buena Vista Pass on a private horseback trail and kayak off the Monterey coast in a sheltered inlet abundant with seals, otters and birdlife.
- Utah: The Mighty Five: An adventure-packed outdoor odyssey through five of Utah’s national parks, exploring by four-wheel-drive vehicle, on horseback and by river raft. Take in the canyons, mesas and nature-made stone sculptures of Zion National Park. Saddle up to ride the trails of Bryce Canyon guided by cowboys and explore Arches and Canyonland on foot and by vehicle. Raft along a quiet stretch of the Colorado River with river guides.
- California: Wine Country: Discover Napa Valley’s vineyards on a private, full-day guided tasting experience tailored to your palate. Enjoy a cooking class at Peju Vineyards, learning from a master chef and pairing your creation with a local wine. Visit the towering trees of the Armstrong Redwoods Reserve and finish off your journey with a half-day of tastings by bicycle in Sonoma Valley.
Great American Road Trips
The two new Great American Road Trips include (start and end points customized based on location; vehicle options vary by itinerary and group size):
- Los Angeles to the Southwest: Journey across the Southwestern U.S. with a driver-guide, traveling between the Grand Canyon and Zion, exploring by hot-air balloon, helicopter and off-road vehicle, as well as on privately guided hikes. Venture into a secluded slot canyon via a private road and try your hand at canyoneering before ending the journey in glittering Las Vegas.
- Chicago to the West: Explore eight states in 18 days, visiting sites made famous by Lewis and Clark, as well as Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Canyonlands and more. Spend a day hiking, riding and fishing at a scenic ranch, follow in the footsteps of Buffalo Bill and Mark Twain, and get a comprehensive view of the historic American West, gaining insight into native traditions as well as the stories behind some the U.S.’ most enduring legends.